Chairman of Heirs Holdings, Tony Elumelu, has emerged the 2015 African Business Leader of the Year at the 8th annual Ai CEO Investment Summit. The event took place on the eve of the UN General Assembly on the 24th-25th of September at Thomson Reuters. Elumelu’s Heirs Holdings also won the award for the Best Initiative in Support of SMEs and the Millennium Development Goals.
Africa investor (Ai) is a specialist investment and communications firm that advises businesses, governments, and international organizations on strategies for capital market and foreign direct investments in Africa.
The Africa investor Summit is a unique business and institutional investors’ forum that represents the leading international investment platform for public and private sector leaders to share their voice and proposals on African business, economic development and investment and business environment policy leadership.
The Ai Investment and Business Leader Awards is a special recognition for exceptional business practices, economic achievements and investments across Africa. At the presentation of the prestigious Investment & Business Leader Awards during the Summit, some of Africa’s finest business and government leaders were among those rewarded for their achievements and contribution in Africa over the past year.
“We are delighted to add the voice of the business and investment community to the important proceedings regarding the Sustainable Development Goals and the engagement of the investment community in support of Agenda 2063 during this historical Summit, taking place during the 70th anniversary of the United Nations. This almost decade-old gathering has proven an essential calendar event for both African and international institutional investors, business and government leaders and development partners alike,” said Hubert Danso, CEO and Vice Chairman of Africa investor.
Below is the list of awardees:
- Best Initiative in Support of SMEs and the Millennium Development Goals
- Investment Climate Initiative of the Year
MIGA/Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC)
- Bank of the Year
- Ai Green Investment Initiative of the Year
- Venture Capital/Private Equity Deal of the Year
The Abraaj Group
- Employer and Human Capital Investor of the Year
- Institutional Investor of the Year
Public Investment Corporation of South Africa (PIC)
- Investment Promotion Agency of the Year
Centre de Promotion des Investissements en Côte d’Ivoire (CEPICI)
- Leadership in Sustainable Investment in Africa
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Africa’s Innovation Leader of the Year
Funke Opeke, CEO, MainOne Cable
- Africa’s Leading Woman in Business
Diane Radley, CEO, Old Mutual Investment Group
- African Business Leader of the Year
Tony Elumelu, Chairman, Heirs Holdings
- International Business Leader of the Year
Gilberto Rodrigues, CEO, Mota-Engil
- Up and Coming Future Leader of the Year
Ashish Thakkar, CEO, Mara Group
- Finance Minister of the Year
Claver Gatete, Minister of Finance and Economic Planning, Rwanda
- Central Bank Governor of the Year
Benno Ndulu, Governor, Bank of Tanzania
This article first appeared HERE