According to Football Money, the following Africans are the highest earning footballers in the continent for the year 2014 —
1. Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon – $90 million): The wealthiest player on the continent, and the recipient of four African Player of the Year trophies. When he played with Anzhi Makhachkala from 2011 to 2013, he was the richest African footballer as well, earning about $25 million a year. He’s played for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Chelsea, and as of August 2014 signed with Premier League side Everton.
2. Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast – $70 million): A prominent member of Côte d’Ivoire’s “Golden Generation.” When he signed with Chelsea at age 26, he was paid $170,000 a week. He is the club’s fourth-highest goal scorer ever, and was No. 1 scorer for foreign players on the team. He played for Turkey’s Galatasaray for about $5.2 million annually. He is back at Chelsea on a one year contract.
3. Yaya Touré (Ivory Coast – $65 million): Another Ivorian sensation. This midfielder for Manchester City has embossed his name in football history. Formerly a Barcelona star, he signed a five-year deal with Manchester City worth $40 million.
4. Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo – $27 million): He’s Togo’s top scorer of all time, and the striker earned a reported $268,000 a week with Manchester City. He has played for Spanish side, Real Madrid, and now kicks for Tottenham Hotspur in England.
5. Michael Essien (Ghana – $25 million): He used to be Africa’s wealthiest soccer player with his 2005 transfer from Lyon to Chelsea, a signing that gained the Ghanaian midfielder around $40.5 million. After eight years with the British club, Essien signed with AC Milan in January of 2014 for a one-and-a-half year contract.
6. Kolo Touré (Ivory Coast – $18 million): The Ivorian central defender has played for some of England’s big clubs: Arsenal, Manchester City, and now Liverpool, where’s he’s on contract until 2015.
7. John Obi Mikel (Nigeria – $15 million): His career started with the Norwegian club Lyn Oslo, but the Nigerian midfielder became famous for signing with Chelsea, following the infamously extended contract embroilment between the two clubs and Manchester United in 2005.
8. Frédéric Kanouté (Mali – $12 million): He has played with Lyon in France, West Ham in England, and Sevilla in Spain. He is currently playing for Beijing Guoan in the Chinese Super League.
9. Seydou Keita (Mali – $10 million): The Malian sensation returned to Valencia at the beginning of 2014, after a year with the Chinese Super League, where he made $16 million with their Dalian Aerbin football club. In June, he signed a one-year contract with Serie A club A.S. Roma.
10. Christopher Samba (Congo – $8 million): The great Congolese defender made $160,000 a week with the contract he signed for Anzhi Makhachkala, and he earned the same amount between shifts with Anzhi playing for Queens Park Rangers. He now plays for Dynamo Moscow.