Development Diaries, in partnership with Sterling Bank, unveiled the Social Media Awards Africa in Lagos today. According to the organizers, the SMAA is Africa’s premier awards for social and digital media, and is created to “recognise and celebrate excellence and creativity in the use of social media tools and platforms by individuals and organizations.”
Premised on Africa’s development pace and its technological revolution, SMAA hopes to deepen and broaden the continents sustainable development, backed by the best use of social media platforms and the rest of social web.
The Social Media Awards Africa consists of 4 major categories and 15 awards altogether:
- PERSONALITY BASED (Awards for individual achievements in social media):
– Blogger of the Year
– Social Media Personality of the Year
– Social Media Hero
- PLATFORM (Specific Social Platforms):
– Facebook Page of the Year
– Twitter Handle of the Year
– Influencer of the Year (LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Instagram)
- INSTITUTIONAL (Best Use of Social Media by):
– Government/Public Sector
– Private Sector
– Financial Institution
- INDIGENOUS (Local Campaigns and Brands):
– App of the Year
– Hashtag of the Year
– Brand of the Year
– Best Rated Platform
The process begins with nominations which open tomorrow October 1, 2014 via the website: www.smaafrica.com. Nominations are requested from individuals and organizations all over the world.
A panel of judges will then screen the nominations and announce a list of 10 nominees per category (150 nominees) and a Public Voting process will begin to bring the final list of nominees to 3 per category. The eventual winners will be determined by a select jury of professionals, and announced at an event tagged ‘A Night of Virtual Wonders’ on December 6, 2014.